Relationship Violence Warning Signs
Pay Attention to Cues When You Are Getting to Know Someone
- Tells you who you may be friends with, how you should dress, or tries to control other elements of your life or relationship.
- Gets jealous when there is no reason.
- Drinks heavily, uses drugs, or tries to get you drunk.
- Berates you for not wanting to get drunk, get high, have sex, or go with him/her to an isolated or personal place.
- Refuses to let you share any of the expenses of a date and gets angry when you offer to pay.
- Is physically violent to you or others, even if it's "just" grabbing and pushing to get his/her way.
- Acts in an intimidating way toward you by invading your "personal space" (sits too close, speaks as if he/she knows you much better than he/she does, touches you when you tell him/her not to).
- Is unable to handle sexual and emotional frustrations without becoming angry.
- Does not view you as an equal--because he/she is older or sees him/herself as smarter or socially superior.
- A man who thinks poorly of himself and guards his masculinity by acting tough.
- Goes through extreme mood changes (highs & lows).
- Is angry and threatening to the extent that you have changed your life so as not to anger him/her.
Help! Where to find it.
Counseling Services (645-2720)
120 Richmond Quad
Crisis Services (834-3131)
24 hour telephone hotline
Copyright - Counseling Services, State University of New York at Buffalo